Sausage Patties with Artichoke Ragout
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs
2 tablespoons milk
2 pounds ground pork
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
2 large egg yolks
2 Tb. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans water packed artichoke hearts, drained and halved
1 cup chicken stock
4 Tb. chopped Italian parsley
2 tsp. thyme, chopped
1. Heat a small heavy skillet over moderately low heat, add the tablespoon of oil and cook the onion stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, stir together bread crumbs and milk in a large bowl and let stand until crumbs absorb milk. Add onions and remaining ingredients to crumb mixture and stir with a fork until blended well.
3. Preheat oven to 250°F.
4. Form sausage mixture into 3-inch patties (about 1/2 inch thick) with dampened hands and arrange on a parchment- lined tray.
5. Meanwhile heat a tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the artichokes and sauté another 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock, salt and pepper to taste and lower the heat to low, cover the pan, simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the parsley and thyme and set aside.
5. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot, then cook patties in 3 batches, turning once, until browned and just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per batch. Drain patties briefly on paper towels as cooked, then transfer to a shallow baking pan and keep warm, covered with foil, in the oven while cooking remaining patties.
6. Serve with patties with the artichokes on the side.