Roasted Beets with Watercress and Chevre
2 pounds baby beets, washed and quartered
salt, pepper, to taste
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 Tb. chopped mint
3 heads endive, sliced into julienne strips
1 bunch watercress, tough stems removed
5 oz. chèvre
1/4 cup toasted walnuts or almonds, optional
- Heat the oven to 400. Place the beets on a half sheet pan and drizzle lightly with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile combine the zest and lemon juice in a small bowl and slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add the mint and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle cut them into a large dice. Add to a salad bowl with the endive and watercress. Toss gently with some of the dressing taste and add more if desired.
- Divided the salad between four salad plates and crumble the chèvre on top of each and add the nuts if using.
* You can use golden beets or a mixture of the two, if desired. Feta cheese can replace the chèvre or omit the cheese altogether if needed.